GnuPG and PGP 5.0 compatibility problem

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jul 17 16:31:01 CEST 2007

> I got a problem with GnuPG and PGP 5.0:

PGP 5.0 substantially predates RFC2440, the IETF standard which GnuPG
implements.  In fact, GnuPG doesn't even have a PGP 5 compatibility
mode.  (It has --pgp6, --pgp7 and --pgp8, but nothing for PGP 5.)

PGP 5.0 is very, _very_ out of date.  Please consider upgrading to
something more recent and standards-conformant.

> In case you´re wondering, I do have PGP only for testing purpose,
> because I can´t get EUMEL of the 1822direkt bank (a system that sends
> you a OpenPGP encrypted mail with financial transactions on your
> account) to work, they use PGP 5.0.

To me, this would cause me to doubt whether I wanted them to have my
financial information at all.

--
Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>

"Most people are never thought about after they're gone.  'I wonder
where Rob got the plutonium?' is better than most get." -- Phil Munson