setting expiration dates

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at mac.com
Thu Jun 7 06:17:31 CEST 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 7:20 PM, David Shaw wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:17:21PM -0700, Joseph Oreste Bruni wrote:
>>
>> This is interesting: After changing my encryption subkey's expiration
>> by a few days (from 2008-01-31 to 2008-01-01), I tried to upload the
>> updated key to the PGP Global Directory (http://keyserver.pgp.com).
>> It complained that my key had expired, but it hasn't. Submitting the
>> key to the SKS key servers (hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net) didn't
>> have a problem. My key ID is CD5518C7 if you want to look at it.
>
> Your key looks fine to me.  Possibly the GD was complaining that you
> have two expired subkeys, though this should not matter as you also
> have an unexpired one.
>
> Perhaps try deleting the expired subkeys before submitting the key to
> the GD.  If that works, you might submit a bug report on the GD, since
> an expired subkey should not prevent uploading the whole key.
>
> David

The key as you see it in GD has expirations on all three subkey; two
expired, but one currently unexpired. The change I performed was to
move the expiration of the third subkey (EEA4EC97) to 2008-01-01. It
is this changed key that was rejected by GD. Would it be helpful to
send you the key as it currently exists in my keyring (which was
rejected) for comparison with what was previous acceptable? Also, the
expiration date on the subkey as it exists in GD was set at the time
the subkey was created, whereas the expiration on the subkey in my
keyring was changed post creation. Would that make a difference in
the representation? I'm not familiar enough with the details of the
spec. to know if this even makes sense.