Secure text editor?

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:11:54 CEST 2007

On 5/14/07, Peter S. May <me at psmay.com> wrote:
> (Developers familiar with swap-locked memory:  I'd appreciate at least a
> short explanation of how it works to someone who understands ISO C but
> not necessarily OS-specific APIs.  Can stack memory be locked, or only
> heap memory?  Would there be any way to load a whole, full-featured text
> editor, such as the 1.8MiB vim on my machine, entirely into locked RAM
> without screwing something up?)

I'm certainly no expert, but I can offer a link, as I was just looking
into this myself. Locking seems to be page-based on Windows NT
systems, so I think it is only heap memory that can be locked. There
is also the complication of the nonpaged pool in Windows having a
smallish fixed size (a restriction mitigated by newer versions of
Windows I believe).

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366895.aspx

--
   RPM