[Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 & 2.0.3

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Wed May 16 20:00:44 CEST 2007

shirish wrote:

>> Then sign and encrypt to an ascii file using your own key ID when it
>> asks for recipient:
>> gpg -a -se yourloveletter.txt
>
>  Casey could you give me more precise instructions please. How do I
> sign & encrypt to an ascii file using my key ID (public key ID perhaps? )
>

> gpg: key D8FC66D2 marked as ultimately trusted
> public and secret key created and signed.

gpg -a -se -u 0xD8FC66D2 -r 0xD8FC66D2 yourloveletter.txt

-u specifies the signing key (same as --local-user)
-r specifies the recipient's key, ie the key to encrypt to

gpg will ask for your key's passphrase in order to sign the message.

-u does not need specified if you have set a default-key in gpg.conf.
If default-key is not set and -u is not specified, gpg will use the first key
found in the secret keyring.

>> Then see if it works:
>> gpg --decrypt yourloveletter.txt.asc

gpg will ask for your key's passphrase in order to decrypt the message.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"