[Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 & 2.0.3

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:34:27 CEST 2007

Hi all,

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 22:18:45 -0700
> From: Casey Jones <groups at caseyljones.net>
> Subject: Re: [Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 &
>         2.0.3   &       how to make the key compliant with 2.0.3
> To: gnupg-users at gnupg.org
>
> shirish wrote:
>
> >  Also what do u guys think of Mr. Casey Jones, do u think he's right
> > at the above.
>
> Werner posted that the keys should be identical between the versions, so
> I guess my suggestion shouldn't be necessary. Therefore I withdraw my
> suggestion. It still might be worth a try though. Just make sure your
> backups are good before you mess with your key.
>
> Before you do that though, try signing and encrypting a file with gpg
> from the command line and checking to see that it will validate. That
> way you'll know if the problem is gpg or firepg.
>
> First, to verify that you have your keys in an accessible place and to
> remind you what your key ID is:
> gpg --list-keys
>
> Then sign and encrypt to an ascii file using your own key ID when it
> asks for recipient:
> gpg -a -se yourloveletter.txt

 Casey could you give me more precise instructions please. How do I
sign & encrypt to an ascii file using my key ID (public key ID perhaps? )

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto

Let's take the e.g. there :-

gpg: key D8FC66D2 marked as ultimately trusted
public and secret key created and signed.

pub   1024D/D8FC66D2 2005-09-08
      Key fingerprint = 95BD 8377 2644 DD4F 28B5  2C37 0F6E 4CA6 D8FC 66D2
uid                  Dennis Kaarsemaker (Tutorial key) <dennis at kaarsemaker.net>
sub   2048g/389AA63E 2005-09-08

> Then see if it works:
> gpg --decrypt yourloveletter.txt.asc
>
> I like to use the -a when testing like this just so it will come out in
> an ascii format that I can enjoy looking at instead of the default
> binary format.

 Please lemme know how to proceed further. We can also take this
off-list if you feel to be more appropriate. I don't know how the list
would look at this.
--
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17