RSA Weak?

Alexander W. Janssen yalla at fsfe.org
Fri Nov 2 21:35:36 CET 2007

On 11/2/07, Sven Radde <email at sven-radde.de> wrote:
[...]
> As mentioned above, the difficulty does not scale exponentially: The
> 663-bit number took 55 CPU-years on a 2,2GHz Opteron, the 640-bit number
>  30 CPU-years. The actual computations were apparrently carried out by a
> cluster with 80 machines.
>
> In fact, some mathematician has proven that factoring is a polynomial
> problem, IIRC.

A P-problem? Really?! Factoring primes is a polynomal problem nowadays?
Are you SURE about that?

Or do you just mean that the current development in CPU-power
compensates the exponential nature to a linear one (in history)
because CPU-power became cheap and parallelization became more common,
reducing the complexity a bit? (although you can't reduce exponential
complexity to linear or even polynomal just *as is*)

That'd put RSA into deep trouble. And not only RSA.

*sigh*

I'm just realizing that I missed a lot in the last years. Must watch
the development more closely...

> cu, Sven

Alex.

--
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent
millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it

.