how to use gpg with a smartcard, when there is no smartcard

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Nov 9 10:28:19 CET 2007

Hi,

I have a little problem with gnupg and smartcards.
I added to my key a signing subkey for my smartcard. This works great
when the smartcard reader is attached to my computer, which is my home
workstation.

Now I have a copy of my secret key etc. on my usb stick and want to use
my key for signing at work, without having a smartcard reader attached.

Gnupg complains now, that it can't find the smartcard reader, which is
true at work, and I'm not able to use any signature function anymore.

Is there a way to tell gnupg, to use another subkey or whatever it
needs, for signing?

There must be a possibility to sign something without having a smartcard
reader attached, right?

Thx for your help and the great software,

\sh