Newbie GnuPG under Windows XP Pro - Redux

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Wed Nov 14 21:02:44 CET 2007

Charly Avital wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have already posted on this subject, and thank in advance for guidance.
>
> I have gpg and gpg 2 compiled, installed and running under MacOSX
> Leopard, and Linux Ubuntu 7.10, but I have not succeeded to have it
> running under Windows.
>
> I have imported my keyrings from MacOSX, and they are present.
>
> 1. Output with gpg 1.4.7;
> =================
> gpg: conversion from `utf-8' to `CP720' not available
> gpg: LoadLibrary failed: The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> gpg: invalid module
> `c:\\lib\\gnupg\/usr/local/libexec/gnupg-pcsc-wrapper': The
>
> specified module could not be found.
> =================
> The three above warnings prevent commands like gpg --list-keys, or -K to
> output the desired information.
> Trying to process an e-mail (e.g. sign) in Thunderbird+Enigmail (current
> stable releases) output the same warnings.
> How can I remedy?

Remove the load-extension line from gpg.conf. Win32 GnuPG 1.4 uses the native
smart card interface, winscard.dll.

Smartcard support in GnuPG 2.x on win32 is still incomplete (Werner, please let
me know if this has changed wrt gpg-agent).

> 2. Output with gpg 2
> How do I get rid of the utf CP720 not available? Or is it important?

I guess it's only important if you use CP720. CP720 is DOS console Arabic support.

gpg2 on win32 is still pretty much alpha-ware. While parts of it may work, I'd
stick with 1.4.7+.

> 3. Finally, I have made an attempt to install MinGW32, I am not sure
> what the result has been, but it is present when I use gpg2 in
> Thunderbird+Enigmail.

MinGW (as well as MSYS) is only needed if you intend on building your own GnuPG
1.4.x on Win32. Note: This is "officially" unsupported.

Building the GnuPG 2.x trunk on a win32 buildhost is unsupported

> I know I have made quite a mess, so I apologize to the list.

No apologies required.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe (a) tx DAWT rr DAHT con
Ginger Bear Networks             hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net