How Revoke an "Unrevokeable" Key

Bahman Movaqar b.movaqar at adempiere.org
Fri Nov 23 09:07:29 CET 2007

On 2007-11-23 Kara wrote:

> ====
>
> Reference your 23 Nov 2007 (0630 +0300):
>                "Re: How to remove a key from keyserver?":
>
> > Ah!  Experience costs!  Thanks for your time and replies,
>
> You're *stuck* as you are already aware.
>
> ====
>
> I have one very, very poor possibility that you might consider  -- it
> won't solve your problem but is perhaps somewhat better than nothing:
>
> 1.  Create a new key and include as a comment:  Replaces 0x12345678
>
>     Then make a revocation certificate for the new key,
>     make a backup of the new key, *and then and only then*:
>
>     a.  Use that new key to sign all userIDs on 0x12345678.
>
>     b.  Then upload 0x12345678 to a public keyserver.
>
>     c.  Then, if you wish -- upload your "new" key to a
>         public keyserver.
>
> ====
>
> That would work for one key (0x123456789) but if you have several keys
> I'm not sure if you'd like to try the same thing using the same key
> for several of your old keys, e.g.,:
>
> 2.  Create a new key and include as a comment:
>
>         Replaces 0x12345678, 0xABCDEFGH, 0x87654321
>
>     etc, etc, etc from above
>
> ====
>
> Again, either option 1 or 2 above won't really solve your problem but
> in lieu of doing nothing is all I can think of.
>
> I've never see the above done with more than one key -- and even then
> it is an absolutely terrible solution to a problem that otherwise
> doesn't have a valid solution.
>
> Robert H and probably all of the other "experienced" GPG/PGP users
> will no doubt tell you the above suggestion is a total waste of time
> and won't accomplish anything worthwhile -- and they will probably be
> right!
>
> However, what have you got to lose?
>
> ====
>
> PS:  I'm not expert but just someone trying to provide something for
> you to think about to see if it makes any sense to you.
>
> Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Looks like that's the only way left; an ugly one but better than
nothing.  Thank you,

PS: I CC'd users@ list.

--
Bahman Movaqar
PGP KeyID: 0xDA647509 (subkeys.pgp.net)

YESTERDAY This Day's Madness did prepare;
TO-MORROW's Silence, Triumph, or Despair:
Drink! for you not know whence you came, nor why:
Drink! for you know not why you go, nor where.
-Khayyam