personal-*-preferences

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Sep 12 21:11:31 CEST 2007

Apologies for the late reply to this--was cleaning out my inbox and
found this, and couldn't remember whether I ever saw a follow-up
explaining the issue.

Thomas Hühn wrote:
> When I create a new key and enter "pref" at the edit-key menu, I see "S9
> S8 S7 S3 S2 H2 H8 H3 Z2 Z3 Z1 [mdc] [no-ks-modify]", that's exactly the
> result without any personal-*-preferences setting in the config file.

This is because these are two different kinds of preferences.

Personal-*-preferences tells GnuPG what sort of algorithms you prefer to
use, and in what order.  Preferences on a key tell correspondents what
sort of algorithms you prefer to use, and in what order.  They are
independent things, although you can make a strong argument that they
shouldn't be.