OT Need pointers for generic smart card help

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Sep 22 06:31:21 CEST 2007

Sorry for the OT post, but I've spent long hours trying to get this to
work, and I'm no closer to my goal. I would appreciate it if someone could
send me a pointer to some docs that can help me. I've googled myself blind
and I've found a lot of stuff that talks about configuring pcsc for serial
devices, but ...

I've got built in USB smart card readers on my two dell laptops. One says
it's a "TI Ultramedia Gemcore Based SC Interface," and the other says it's
a "O2 Micro 0Z776 USB CCID Smart Card Reader." I've also got some smart
cards that I'd like to read (or even better, write to) but I can't figure
out how to get pcsc to recognize either of my usb readers, so I can't even
get out of the gate.

The other thing I was hoping to get suggestions on is a "generic" smart
card program that can tell me what's on the card, and allow me to write to
certain locations. Failing that, references to "how to read and write to
smart cards for dummies" would be very helpful.

Finally, something relatively on topic, is there any way to take a random
smart card and turn it into an openpgp card? I am sure the answer is
probably no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I speak FreeBSD fluently, I have an Ubuntu box that I can use if that's
the best answer, and I'd even take a windows solution at this point.

TIA for any help y'all can provide.

Doug

--

 	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough