gpg-agent/ssh-add asking for passphrase at first usage

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 1 13:23:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:17:59AM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > some years ago I did create a nice "gpg-agent --enable-ssh-support"
> > setup that would register ssh keys with the agent, but the agent
> > would only ask for the passphrase when ssh would try a connection.
> >
> > Now I upgraded my system and this doesn't work anymore.
>
> What exactly doesn't work?  You don't get any password prompt for
> either your ssh nor gpg keys?  Or you get the prompt for both now
> instead of having your ssh key automatically added?  Or something else
> entirely?

I tried to explain, but maybe the mail was too long: Previously, right
after logging in I would see the keys with ssh-add -l, but I would
only be asked for the passphrase on their first usage.

Now they are not listed and if I try to add them I'm asked for the
pssphrase immediately.

> > Now my questions are:
> [...]
> > - *why* did it break with the update? The old system has gnupg 2.0.8
> >  and the new one 2.0.9. But the Changelog doesn't indicate anything
> >  that would make these two behave differently.
>
> Is the new system running another agent, like the seahorse agent?  I
> think that might be on by default now, and it provides similar
> functionlity to gpg-agent and ssh-agent.  Maybe it's causing problems?

I'm invoking gpg-agent directly in the ssh-agent replacment scrip (see
my OP).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net