GnuPG v2.x?

Sven Radde sven at radde.name
Thu Apr 3 19:20:16 CEST 2008

Hi!

Am Donnerstag, den 03.04.2008, 18:41 +0200 schrieb Werner Koch:
> The real reason for GnuPG-2 is the support for S/MIME.

I'm just curious and do not mean to be offensive or to belittle the
effort to implement S/MIME, but is GnuPG's S/MIME implementation
actually used somewhere?
As far as I see it, the mail clients that offer S/MIME do so far longer
than GnuPG2 exists and therefore have their own implementations (or use
other libs).

Is there any benefit for GnuPG's S/MIME implementation that I am not
aware of (like being able to re-use OpenPGP key material 'transparently'
in an S/MIME certificate)?

cu, Sven