GnuPG v2.x?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 22:17:03 CEST 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Sven Radde wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.04.2008, 18:41 +0200 schrieb Werner Koch:
> > The real reason for GnuPG-2 is the support for S/MIME.
>
> I'm just curious and do not mean to be offensive or to belittle the
> effort to implement S/MIME, but is GnuPG's S/MIME implementation
> actually used somewhere?

Yes.

> As far as I see it, the mail clients that offer S/MIME do so far
> longer than GnuPG2 exists and therefore have their own
> implementations (or use other libs).

GnuPG's S/MIME implementation was developed as part of the Aegypten
project [1]. It is used in KMail and probably also in Mutt (but I'm not
sure about the latter). The S/MIME implementation in KMail (via
gpgme/gpgsm) is the only Free Software implementation of S/MIME that
has passed the Sphinx interoperability tests of the Federal Office for
Information Security (BSI) [2].

Regards,
Ingo

[1] http://www.gnupg.de/aegypten/