Accessing the private DOs of the smartcard

Sven Radde email at sven-radde.de
Thu Apr 10 07:51:47 CEST 2008

Hi!

Am Mittwoch, den 09.04.2008, 15:50 -0600 schrieb Allen Schultz:
> I have either a 256 or a 512 MB USB Flash drive that I am not using.
> Is there anyway I can turn that into a smartcard for GNUPG and other
> security stuff?

I was talking about the chip card, as seen here:
http://www.g10code.de/p-card.html
You cannot replicate its functionality with USB flash drives.

If you think about "just" storing your GnuPG keys on a removable medium,
that's relatively easy to do. Copy your GnuPG home directory to the
stick and configure GnuPG to use that instead of the default directory,
e.g. by giving "--homedir /path/to/usb/...".

See also:
<http://www.nabble.com/GnuPG-%28win32%
29-on-a-USB-stick-to15796380.html#a15796380>
Where the issue was discussed recently.

HTH, Sven