Naming of GnuPG

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Sun Apr 20 18:05:52 CEST 2008

Sven Radde wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Sonntag, den 20.04.2008, 05:54 -0400 schrieb Faramir:
>
>> Does it means Enigmail adds to 1.4.x most of the features of 2.0.x?
>
> Absolutely not. Enigmail is a Frontend/GUI for some of GnuPG's
> functions.

True. Enigmail is a security extension to Mozilla Thunderbird and Seamonkey. It
integrates functionality of GnuPG's OpenPGP implementation to support the
sending and receiving of OpenPGP encrypted and digitally signed email (and
news). It will work with either GnuPG 1.4.x or 2.0.x. It does not provide a full
interface to whichever version of GnuPG it is configured to use. Nor does it add
any additional functionality not already present in the particular version of
GnuPG in use.

> In fact, Enigmail does not use any of the added functions that GnuPG 2.x
> offers, as Enigmail is only for OpenPGP-based email encryption.
> So, what John meant is, if you use Enigmail, using GnuPG 2.x won't give
> you any benefits (apart from gpg-agent, which is not too useful in this
> scenario, as Enigmail can cache passphrases on its own, too).

Which is why I specified "is _only_ required if one needs gpg-agent support."

It might be best if I speak to what I meant. gpg-agent is required in the case
the user uses more than one key and those keys have different passphrases.
Enigmail's passphrase caching is limited to the cases of a single key or
multiple keys sharing a common passphrase.

So, yes, in general, gpg-agent doesn't get you much. But in these the /specific/
use case I specified it is essential.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe (a) tx DAWT rr DAHT con
Ginger Bear Networks             hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net