Naming of GnuPG

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Apr 22 08:30:21 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:39,
christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de said:

> What if ECC or V5 keys will finally come? Should they be backported?

It is unlikely that this will go into 1.4 - these would be huge changes
and I see no reason to backport them.  If you really want this future
OpenPGP you need to invest a lot of time to deploy it and thus the
desciosn whether to use 1.4 or 2.0 would be a minor one.

> Uhm,.. the only problem that I could see here are possible build
> problems with 2.x (are there any?).

Sure.  It might even build on some platforms but won't be usable due to
missing OS features (descriptor passing comes to mind).

> Any I never asked to stop security support for the 1.4.x branch, I just
> suggested to let the main development take place in 2.x and to
> explicitly state this.

That is already the case.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner