Naming of GnuPG

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Apr 21 16:33:07 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:42,
christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de said:

> I think that renaming would actually increase the confusion.
> It would be better to consider to slowly phase out the 1.4x branch.

This will not happen.  1.4. builds on a wide variety of platforms
whereas 2.0 requires a decent POSIX or Windows platform.

1.4. is really useful.

Frankly, I do not see the problem.  The BInd folks are running Bind 8
and Bind 9 for a long time already and not long ago Bind 4 was also
activly maintained.

2.0 has more features that 1.4 and thus it "better" in the common sense.
It is just that if you machine is not powerful (modern) enough, you
can't use it.  From the OpenPGP perspective tehre is no difference
between the two versions.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner