OpenPGP card stopped working

Michel Messerschmidt lists at michel-messerschmidt.de
Thu Apr 24 08:26:48 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 07:36:47PM -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:
> >From what I can tell, none of those packages should have any affect on
> the card itself, but I am no expert in this matter.
>
> Although it sounds like you just had to reboot, and things worked
> fine. I'm still unable to access my card.

Just updated my Debian Lenny system this morning, but the cardman 4040
is still working with gpg and gpg2.
But I noticed, that mail signing fails with a similar error, if I just
start the mail client. After executing "gpg --card-status" in another
terminal, everything works fine.

Can you post some configuration details ?

$ pccardctl info
PRODID_1="OMNIKEY"
PRODID_2="CardMan 4040"
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0223,0200
FUNCID=255
$ pccardctl status
Socket 0:
  5.0V 16-bit PC Card
  Subdevice 0 (function 0) bound to driver "cm4040_cs"

$ cat /etc/udev/gnupg-ccid.rules
# CardMan 4040 (PCMCIA device)
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="cardman_4040", GROUP="scard", MODE="0660"

Package version should be the same in sid and lenny at the moment:
ii  gnupg               1.4.6-2.1           GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement
ii  gnupg2              2.0.9-1             GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement
ii  gpgv                1.4.6-2.1           GNU privacy guard - signature verification tool
ii  hal                 0.5.11~rc2-1        Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  libccid             1.3.5-1             PC/SC driver for USB CCID smart card readers
ii  libgcrypt11         1.4.0-3             LGPL Crypto library - runtime library
ii  libgpg-error0       1.4-2               library for common error values and messages in GnuPG
ii  libpcsclite1        1.4.100-3           Middleware to access a smart card using PC/SC (library
ii  udev                0.114-2             /dev/ and hotplug management daemon

Michel