Naming of GnuPG

Sven Radde email at sven-radde.de
Sun Apr 27 14:07:41 CEST 2008

Hi!

Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 09:29 -0400 schrieb Chris Walters:
> | Do people find the 1.4.x / 2.0.x thing confusing?
>
> I can only speak for myself.  I don't find the 1.4.x / 2.0.x version numbering
> thing confusing at all. (...)
> I have compiled both on both GNU/Linux and Win32...

Which means that you are far from an average user... ;-)

Speaking for myself, I used to find it confusing at the time of release.
In the meantime, I have gained trust into the fact that 1.4.x will
continue to be supported and therefore I am not bothered anymore by the
fact that I don't seem to get 2.x set up properly.

But if I had to choose today what to use as a beginner and was not
subscribed to this list, I would find it confusing, I guess.

IMHO, we don't need a naming change, however, but rather a
end-user-suitable "HowTo: Choose your version of GnuPG."
Unfortunately, due to the fact that I know nearly nothing about things
like GnuPG's build-time requirements, I don't feel really confident
enough to do it myself...

cu, Sven