decrypting a message.

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Sun Apr 27 14:26:52 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 19:27 +0100, cronos wrote:
[...]

> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
>
> Shouldn't it be asking me for the passphrase at some point?
>
> Thanks

I am a Mac user, running Ubuntu 8.04 under virtual ware Parallels 3.0
for the Mac., and using here Evolution 2.22.1, which is not my first
choice. I don't know how Evolution interacts with GnuPG, or what version
of GnuPG it is using. Maybe I should be trying to know more about
Evolution :-)

You should be asked to type the passphrase IF the secret key of your
key pair C8A0C2BB was available.

But the system is claiming that it is not available

1. Does your secret key show in your secret keyring?
Terminal $ gpg -K

Kgpg (if you are using it) should display an icon showing two keys, at
the left of the row where your key C8A0C2BB is displayed.

2. IF 'use-agent' is enabled, but for some reason gpg-agent it is not
running and available (Terminal $ gpg-agent), that *could* be the reason
why your systems claims that the secret key is not available.

Too many IFs, and too many questions, sorry I can't help.

Charly