decrypting a message.

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 05:55:02 CEST 2008

cronos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss decrypting a message. No matter what I do I
> always seem to get:
>
> gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID C8A0C2BB
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
>
> when I run gpg like this:
> $gpg --list-packets  msg.pgp
> :pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid 9C53A76FC8A0C2BB
>         data: [1023 bits]
>         data: [1023 bits]
> :encrypted data packet:
>         length: 149
>         mdc_method: 2
> gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID C8A0C2BB
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
>
> Shouldn't it be asking me for the passphrase at some point?

The error couldn't be more obvious to me: secret key not available.

I was able to dig around with a keyserver and found that the encryption
subkey, 0x9C53A76FC8A0C2BB, belongs to the key 0x137D149825833A20,
"Sphinx <sphinx.rankk at gmail.com>"

What's the result of running the command;

    gpg--list-secret-key 0xC8A0C2BB

If the key is in your secret keyring, you'll get something like:

    sec   1024D/25833A20 2007-09-04
    uid                  Sphinx <sphinx.rankk at gmail.com>
    ssb   1024g/C8A0C2BB 2007-09-04

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet: JPClizbe(a)tx DAWT rr DAHT con
Ginger Bear Networks             hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net