Naming of GnuPG

Christoph Anton Mitterer christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Apr 28 00:44:08 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 02:20 -0500, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> I'd like to see GPG remain the name for only 1.4.
>
> GnuPG 2.x introduces a lot of new crypto support that is not related
> OpenPGP. The original metonymy is no longer appropriate.
>
> Call it GnuPS, for the GNU Privacy Suite. If additional tools,
> technologies, etc., are added to GnuPG 2.x or a future 3.0, then the
> GnuPS name can remain unchanged.
I think renaming gpg would have the disadvantage of breaking with a well
known and traditional name.
It could even more confuse users because they might think it's an
unofficial fork or it's not as good as the "real" GnuPG.

Despite of this I like you idea, because, as you argue, gpg2 has more
than just OpenPGP.

However I would prefer a name like gnucrypt (and perhaps as shortcut gc
or gnuc).
"suite" sounds like "more", e.g. including an email client or so ;)

Best wishes,
Chris.