[GnuPG-users] identical files -> non-identical encrypted files

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sat Aug 2 19:23:45 CEST 2008

Ian> I have a local file that I want to encrypt and upload to a remote
Ian> machine in encrypted form.  Encrypting is farily quick, but
Ian> uploading is slow, so I use rsync for the other (unencrypted)
Ian> files.  But the fact that the encrypted file is different each time
Ian> defeats the rsync incremental upload.

Gabor> Jari Ruusu's loop-aes uses the following method: - it encrypts
Gabor> disk/file with AES - it has 1-65 pieces of 128-256 bit keys for
Gabor> this symmetric cipher - disk keys are stored in a file that is
Gabor> encrypted by GPG - Several users may have access to this file
Gabor> (each with his own secret key)

Ok, but how does that solve my problem?  Even if I encrypt my file with
a symmetric cipher I face the same issue - each encrypted copy will be
different.

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD