import and export with different gpg versions

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Aug 19 02:00:09 CEST 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Florian Schwind wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I exported an key from my keyring with gpg 1.4.9 and tried to import
> it with gpg 1.2.4 on an other system. The import worked well until I
> tried to run gpg --update-trust-db which halted with an error:
>
> gpg: kein uneingeschränkt vertrauenswürdiger Schlüssel 080CB4A8
> gefunden
>
> (which probably means "no ultimated truted key 080CB4A8 found")
>
> This is some kind of irritating me since I don't know nothing about
> this keyID.

If I remember correctly, this error message is a bug that was fixed
sometime after 1.2.4.  The error message should be "no ultimately
trusted key found"  The particular key ID given is not correct.

The error just means that you don't have an ultimately trusted key,
and so cannot generate a trust database.  I expect the key you just
imported is the one you intend to use, so just make that your
ultimately trusted key.  On the 1.2.4 side:

  gpg --edit-key (your key id that you just imported)
  trust
   (set the key to "ultimate")
  save

Then you should be able to build your trust database.

David