Description of why an UID is revoked

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Dec 11 20:19:00 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 07:24:24PM +0100, Ramon Loureiro wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recently have revoked one of my user IDs for some technical reasons...
> When doing that. I have selected to input a description of why have I
> revoked it...
>
> The question is: where is that information stored? How can I or anyone
> check it?

A user ID (generally) has a self-signature that "binds" it to the key
and marks it as a real UID.  A UID revocation is just another self-sig
that tells anyone who cares that this user ID is no longer valid.  The
description line for why a UID was revoked is contained in this
revocation self-sig.

It is not usually visible - probably the easiest way to see it is via:
  gpg --export (thekey) | gpg --list-packets

David