SMIME vs PGP

SeidlS at schneider.com SeidlS at schneider.com
Wed Feb 6 22:28:49 CET 2008

I am not a encryption expert, and need some help from the GnuPG user group.

We have a new software product that has the capability of encrypting
documents using SMIME.  How common is SMIME and used outside of email
clients?  Is it compatible with the OpenPGP standard, and thus GnuPG?  Is
there a good website discussing the differences between the two standards?

Thanks
Scott
Enterprise Integration Services
This document, and any attachments therein, contains proprietary and
confidential information that may not be disclosed without the prior
written permission of Schneider National, Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Unauthorized use or misuse of this information and its contents is strictly
prohibited. Schneider National, Inc. vigorously protects its rights.