Corporate use of gnupg

Max Allan max.allan at nbs.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 12:09:24 CET 2008

You're cracking the wrong nut. We've concluded : You can't enforce everyone to ensure their email is decryptable.
So the solution is to make sure they don't get encrypted email.

Use GPG at a gateway level and deny any internal mail that can't be decrypted. This is the way PGPU can work. All internal users'
keys are stored on the PGPU server, users don't need to know their passwords or anything about their keys. The server decrypts or
encrypts as required. All traffic on your local network is in the clear.

We used to have a TFS server doing something similar using GPG. (you need to buy TFS, I don't know if there is a free solution out
there)

Of course if your encryption policy is designed to prevent colleagues reading each others email, then this doesn't work. But if
people can access each others mailboxes, you've got a different problem (with file permissions)!

If it's too many people with root/administrator account that can read everyone's mail causing fear, then move the mail server to a
new, more secure box and only one person has the password (probably you should have sudo or similar setup so you can do admin
tasks).

Max