Moving from PGP to GPG

Maury Markowitz maury.markowitz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:34:19 CET 2008

I'm in the process of automating a number of manual tasks. Several of
these require a user to manually download e-mail attachments to a
folder, decrypt them using PGP, and then open them in Excel. So far I
have managed to redirect the mail to a public folder in Exchange, find
and download the attachments (MS does NOT make that easy!) and in the
unencrypted cases, open the files and automatically process them.

Now there's the encrypted ones. I have downloaded and installed both
GPG and IDEA.DLL on a network share. I then copied over our keyfiles
from the existing PGP installs, and renamed them ".gpg" which seems to
make life simpler (do I need to do this? is can I specify the file
directly and thus leave it named ".skr" and ".pkr"?)

After the install I did:

gpg --homedir o:\utilities\ --list-keys

and got a list of the expected keys. One of these is our 2048-bit
public key that I know the other side is using to encrypt the file in
question. So then I try the actual extraction...

gpg --homedir o:\utilities\ --load-extension o:\utilities\idea.dll -d
o:\downloads\cds_20080219.txt.pgp

And this gets me:

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for...

Ok, no problem, so I type in the passphrase...

gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

Uhhh, no, it's NOT invalid. And this is where I am stuck.

So am I correct in thinking that I should be able to copy the keyfiles
over? If not, is there some sort of process I can use to do so? Is
there such thing as a "cross platform" keyfile that works in both GPG
and PGP?

Maury