How know who is a file encrypted for ?

Dirk Traulsen dirk.traulsen at lypso.de
Mon Feb 25 09:59:36 CET 2008

Am 8 Feb 2008 um 15:23 hat David Shaw geschrieben:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:07:21PM +0100, Sebastien Chassot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't find how list who's a file encrypted for ? I've encrypt several
> > files with different recipients, but I don't remember which.
>
> Just run 'gpg' on the file, and don't give a passphrase.  It prints
> all the possible recipients.

No, not really. gpg asks three times for the password for each
recipient one after the other.

If you are the third recipient, you have to give 6 times a wrong
password until you can finally input the correct one. This gets real
fun when there are ten recipients...

It would be nice, if
1. gpg would take the password and test it automatically with all
recipients keys.
	1a. If there would be a hit, fine.
	1b. If there was no hit, print a list of all recipient keys and give
		 two more chances for a correct password.
2. there would be a command --recipient-keys which would just list all
recipient keys of an encrypted file, so I could see in advance whether
my key is one of them.

Dirk