How know who is a file encrypted for ?

Sebastien Chassot sinux at fsfe.org
Mon Feb 25 14:29:43 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 09:59 +0100, Dirk Traulsen wrote:

> If you are the third recipient, you have to give 6 times a wrong
> password until you can finally input the correct one. This gets real
> fun when there are ten recipients...
>
> It would be nice, if
> 1. gpg would take the password and test it automatically with all
> recipients keys.
> 	1a. If there would be a hit, fine.
> 	1b. If there was no hit, print a list of all recipient keys and give
> 		 two more chances for a correct password.
> 2. there would be a command --recipient-keys which would just list all
> recipient keys of an encrypted file, so I could see in advance whether
> my key is one of them.

I thought it wasn't any command for security reason, but I agree it
seems a basic functionality is missing.

Maybe a command giving complete information on a file would be useful
too. I mean a signed file and an encrypted file have both .gpg extension
and are hard to distinguish, aren't they ?

Or the --verify command could be more verbose and list recipient's
keys ?

$ gpg --verify encrypted_file.gpg
gpg: verify signatures failed: unexpected data

$ gpg --verify signed_file.gpg
gpg: Signature made ...
gpg: Good signature from ...