Signing people with only one form of ID?

Fri Feb 29 10:52:44 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Sven Radde <email at sven-radde.de> wrote:

>  Being german, I am really baffled by this question...
>  I have only one personal identity card and it is really sufficient to
>  prove my identity to anyone. I could bring along my traveller's passport
>  but that one is issued by the same authority based on the same data.

It is not (all) about the authority who issued it. Two are harder to forge
than one (unless you have direct access within the authority, of course).

>  What else would count as "form of ID"? Credit card? Credit card with
>  picture? Library card? A bonus card from the german railway with
>  picture? I am sure that I could come up with about a dozen such pieces
>  of "ID" with a wrong name on it (and, if applicable, my picture).

Basically, the only thing I would accept is state-issued unless I know
that there is an actual replacement system in a specific country that
is _better_. If in doubt, don't sign.

Richard