Exit code 2 from PHP script

Vlad "SATtva" Miller sattva at pgpru.com
Sat Jan 19 11:28:48 CET 2008

Brent Hagany wrote on 19.01.2008 02:39:
> Hello,
>
> This issue has been addressed several times on this list, but after
> several hours of searching, I cannot find a solution that works for me.
> Here's a simple test case that I cannot get to work:
>
> $out = exec("/usr/bin/gpg --list-keys",$output,$return);
>
> This, and everything like it, except "gpg --help" returns an exit code
> of 2, with nothing in the output.
>
> Ultimately, I want to encrypt a message and then email it, but I reduced
> it to this simple case in an attempt to get it to work.  Now, some other
> things: I can successfully do pretty much anything with gpg by running a
> PHP script from the command line, as the same user that Apache runs
> under (daemon, on my machine).  I have changed the permissions on
> everything in daemon's .gnupg folder to 777.  I have confirmed that the
> path to gpg is correct.  I've also tried every flag that looks like it
> might remotely be of use.  Does anybody have any ideas about something
> else I could try?  I feel like I've pretty much ruled out user-related
> and permission-related problems - what are the other candidates for the
> source of this kind of thing?

You don't have to specify full path to the executable if it's in your
system PATH. As to the specific problem, try to use system() instead of
exec(), however if playing with process handles don't scares you,
consider proc_open().

--
SATtva | security & privacy consulting
www.vladmiller.info | www.pgpru.com