Need tips on how to backup my keys

Brad Tilley brad at black.cirt.vt.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:53:37 CET 2008

Tar it up and symmetrically encrypt it. Use a strong pass phrase.
Store the encrypted tar file in various places (USB, gmail, bank
safety deposit box, lawyers office, girlfriend's house, etc.) Write
the pass phrase down and keep it in your bank box.

I (personally) don't do this. I just tar up .gnupg with no symmetric
encryption. In theory, this is a bad idea.  With a good pass phrase
however, in practice, there is nothing wrong with it. The weak link is
the pass phrase, so use a good one and don't worry too much.

Brad