adding a new email to a key

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jan 29 23:36:46 CET 2008

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I wanted to add another email address to that key, ale (at) pcartwright.com
>
> I'm not real sure of the sequence or path to take to accomplish this. I tried
> adding another uid, I tried adding a subkey. but both times I ended up with
> Kgpg showing the new email as the primary, instead of as uid#2.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see the problem.  If you
want to add another user ID (what people usually mean when they say "add
another email address"), then you add another user ID.  Apparently from
your message, you can add user IDs just fine--so where's the problem?

By default, GnuPG will always make a newly-created user ID the primary
user ID.  However, this really shouldn't matter to you--what matters
most is that the user IDs you want listed on your key are on your key.