Strange problem with seahorse (and consequently enigmail).

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Sun Jul 6 15:17:47 CEST 2008

[Note: I posted this to the Ubuntu-users list recently too.  Apologies
to those who have already seen it.]

I have a strange problem with seahorse not working on only one of two
Ubuntu computers.  The gpg-agent works in the curses-like way when I
call gpg in xterm, but seahorse doesn't.  (Because seahorse isn't
working but Thunderbird enigmail detects the agent running, Enigmail
doesn't work either.)  The output 'ps aux OT' after logging into GNOME
includes these commands (with the same start time, owned by my
userid):

/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --sh --write-env-file=/home/adam/.gnupg/gpg-agent-info-beetle /usr/bin/seahorse-agent --execute /usr/bin/gnome-session
[seahorse-agent] <defunct>

(On the computer that isn't giving me this problem, the first line is
the same except for the hostname, but the next line says
  /usr/bin/seahorse-agent --execute /usr/bin/gnome-session
and everything works.)

When I try to run 'seahorse-preferences' from a command-line, I get
the following errors:

** (seahorse-preferences:11283): CRITICAL **: init_gpgme: assertion `GPG_IS_OK (err)' failed

** (seahorse-preferences:11283): CRITICAL **: seahorse_pgp_source_init: assertion `GPG_IS_OK (err)' failed
Segmentation fault

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or debugging tips.

I'm using gnupg 1.4.8 and the additional packages listed below.  I've
tried purging and reinstalling most of them.

ii  gnupg-agent                                     2.0.7-1                                         GNU privacy guard - password agent
ii  gnupg-doc                                       2003.04.06-6                                    GNU Privacy Guard documentation
ii  gnupg2                                          2.0.7-1                                         GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement
ii  gpgsm                                           2.0.7-1                                         GNU privacy guard - S/MIME version
ii  gpgv                                            1.4.6-2ubuntu5                                  GNU privacy guard - signature verification tool
ii  libgpg-error0                                   1.4-2ubuntu7                                    library for common error values and messages in GnuPG components
ii  libgpgme11                                      1.1.5-2ubuntu1                                  GPGME - GnuPG Made Easy
ii  pgpgpg                                          0.13-9                                          Wrapper for using GnuPG in programs designed for PGP
ii  python-gnupginterface                           0.3.2-9ubuntu1                                  Python interface to GnuPG (GPG)
ii  seahorse                                        2.22.2-0ubuntu1                                 A Gnome front end for GnuPG