make data available for a certain amount of time

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Jul 11 12:35:28 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 06:14:27PM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:32:20 +0200
> "Sander de Bakker" <n00bical at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello Faramir and Robert,
> >
> > thank you for the responses.
> >
> > I want everyone to be able to acces the data as long as the data is
> > valid. When the data becomes invalid i want it to be inaccesible for
> > everyone.
> >
> > I want to control and force when the data should be invalid, i was
> > thinking of using the expiration of a gpg key.
> >
> > Any suggestions are appreciated.
> >
> > N00bical
>
> What I've seen once was a self-extracting archive built with bash. It
> was basically a bash-script with some binary data attached to it.
>
> It was created with something like:
> #!/bin/bash
> cat script.sh archive.tar >  archive.sh
>
> The script did something like
> #!/bin/bash
> tail -n 30 archive.sh | tar x

Errr, that's a bit off-topic, but it is *much* easier to do that with
shar (in the base system on most OS's, or in a package named sharutils
or similar on most Linux distributions).

Of course, shar wants to encode the binary data and thus makes the file
a bit bigger than just a binary blob, but this is actually a good thing
in view of all the weird and wonderful (not!) ways that various shells
treat "special", "graphical", and other interesting characters.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.