make data available for a certain amount of time

Florian Philipp f_philipp at fastmail.net
Thu Jul 10 18:14:27 CEST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:32:20 +0200
"Sander de Bakker" <n00bical at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Faramir and Robert,
>
> thank you for the responses.
>
> I want everyone to be able to acces the data as long as the data is
> valid. When the data becomes invalid i want it to be inaccesible for
> everyone.
>
> I want to control and force when the data should be invalid, i was
> thinking of using the expiration of a gpg key.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> N00bical

What I've seen once was a self-extracting archive built with bash. It
was basically a bash-script with some binary data attached to it.

It was created with something like:
#!/bin/bash
cat script.sh archive.tar >  archive.sh

The script did something like
#!/bin/bash
tail -n 30 archive.sh | tar x

That way you could all sorts of things like contacting a server,
checking the date and so forth. Of course, things get a bit ugly as
soon as it has to run on Windows. In that case I'd use Java and put the
data and the script into a jar.

Of course, that way you can't lock the file completely (at least, not
so easy) but you can warn the user that it's outdated.