[admin] What is top posting, and why should you avoid it?

John B yochanon at localnet.com
Sat Jul 19 05:22:21 CEST 2008

On 18 July 08, Andrew Berg wrote:

> John B wrote:
> > On 17 July 08, John Clizbe wrote:
> >> A4: Yes, *only* when introducing the text of a forwarded message
> >> Q4: Is it ever OK to top post?
> >
> >   A: Wrong, it's *never* correct, it leads only to someone, *again*,
> > trying to argue that somehow it's okay, and still discombobulates
> > everything.
>
> I disagree. An introduction does fit logically at the top, however such
> an introduction should be short. One does not need to read anything
> below to get context for an introduction; in fact, such an introduction
> may be there to put the rest of the message in context.

  That's what the subject line is for. After that, it should be all reading as
if one is reading a book and seeing things in the logical order and way
people were taught to read and respond.

> On a side note, is there any reason I didn't see the last message I sent
> to the list?

  I can't help there, sorry.

--
Bureaucracy: The organization to get things done that keeps things from
getting done.

                          - Aahz (from Myth Conceptions)