[admin] What is top posting, and why should you avoid it?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Jul 19 06:52:45 CEST 2008

John B wrote:
> That's what the subject line is for. After that, it should be all
> reading as if one is reading a book and seeing things in the logical
> order and way people were taught to read and respond.

I don't know about you, but when I forward an academic paper on to a
colleague, I write a Post-It note and slap it on the front, telling my
colleague various important details about it.

The normal reading order is thus "read the introductory Post-It note,
then read the paper."

Compare:

	"Paula -- this got thrown at IJCAI09's CFP but didn't make
	the cut.  You should get in touch with the author; I think
	he might have solved the problem with different semantic
	parses between LL_k and LALR_k, and I know you've been
	beating your head against the wall with that.  Don't
	circulate this paper, though, since technically
	everything's embargoed until '09."

As opposed to the subject line,

	"Re: [Fwd: from IJCAI-09 CFP] thought you might be interested"

... which is already too long for a subject line.

I shall continue to top post introductory material when forwarding
relevant information, and eschew top posting all other times.