Wildcards in uids?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Jun 4 21:18:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:23:00PM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:08:40PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:13:00PM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> > >
> > > I have recently started using suffixed e-mail addresses and am wondering
> > > if I might need to add suffixes I am using to my key - or if I can add
> > > something that would catch them all.
> > >
> > > If I need to add them individually, it may be better to add the ones I
> > > need to as I need them, but if a catch-all is possible, please advise me
> > > as to how I need to specify it.
> >
> > Sorry, there is no way within GnuPG to do such a thing.  It's
> > frequently doable outside of GnuPG via your mail program, but you'd
> > have to consult the documentation for that program to learn how.
>
> I think you may have misunderstood the query.
>
> I use suffixed e-mail addresses - I introduced them to help me sort mail
> as well as spot the leaky organisations. That part is absolutely
> working.
>
> However, do I need to add these addresses as uids to my key if I wish to
> sign or encrypt mail where I am using them as From: addresses?
>
> Is a "catch all suffixes" uid possible if that is the case? If so, how do
> I specify it? It is nothing, as far as I can see, to do with my mail
> programs (either of them). It is more to do with key administration.

I think I did understand the query.  You have email addresses like
"myaddress-foo at example.com", "myaddress-bar at example.com", and so on.
The question was is a "catch all suffixes" UID possible.  The answer
to that question is no.

That said, I'm not sure why you think this is a necessary thing to
do.

David