max-cert-depth and "chains of trust" in GPG

bezna george.davidescu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 20:30:59 CEST 2008

Dear David and GPG users,

Thank you for your clarification and prompt reply. I still have some further
questions.

1) On the output of the --check-trustdb command, there is a line for each
level of depth in the path of signatures similar to this:

gpg: depth: 3  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 1-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 0u

What does the "trust: 1-" entry stand for? I noticed that this "-1" entry
usually accompanies the last hop in the chain of signatures that has made a
signature to validate another key. Similarly, I've noticed that sometimes
"trust: 0-" appears. What does this mean?

2) I'm a bit confused about the tsign command. I tried setting up some test
cases in which there is a chain of tsigns of the form A-->B--C-->D-->E etc.,
each tsign having been answered with "full trust" and "level 10" at their
respective queries during the signing protocol. I was puzzled to find that
the same occurred as with "regular" signatures; only those certificates
which were signed by someone the owner placed trust in directly were
validated, but they were given no trust values (IE their trust was
"unknown"). The extra trust information encoded in the trust signature
seemed to be lost to GPG, with one exception: the certificates tsigned by
the owner himself. I noticed that as soon as those keys who the owner had
tsigned were imported, their trust was automatically set to the value given
in the tsign, rather than defaulting to "unknown" as with regular
signatures. This was not the case for tsigns made further down the line from
those who the owner had tsigned. Am I then to understand that trust in GPG
is not transferrable, and that assigning trust can only be done directly by
the owner and not delegated to others, even through tsigns? That is to say,
there's no way to place confidence in the trust calls made the users whom
your own trusted introducers trust, and thus have a propagation of trust
down a chain? I was under the impression that the tsign was useful in a
system which uses Certificate Authorities (CAs), but the mechanism behind
its use is unclear to me. Could you please provide some additional
clarification on how tsign is supposed to work in the grand scheme of
things?  And just how can another user "make a signature on your behalf"?

3) Also on the topic of tsigns, I was wondering what the trust signature
levels represented, how they are useful and whether any value greater than
10 (enough to qualify for a 'T') is treated the same.

Many thanks,

George