GnuPG (win32) on a USB stick

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Mar 3 03:15:20 CET 2008

nunzky wrote:
> Also, this would probably have to involve me keeping my private key on the
> usb stick, protected only by a passphrase. How secure is this? Are there any
> better ways to do it?

As a rule of thumb, never do any sensitive computer operations on a
computer you don't completely trust.

If you think the computers in your campus's IT kiosks are safe and
pristine, then this idea is probably reasonably good.  If you think the
computers in the kiosks are exposed to a host of unsafe web browsing
habits, malware and stupid users 24/7, you may want to rethink this plan.