When using svn version gnupg, why isnt svn version shown with gpg --version

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 10:51:49 CET 2008

Kevin Hilton wrote:
> Whats wrong with my version  -- I'm getting 1.4.8
>
> $ gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.8-svn4702

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but why did you build 1.4.8 for rev 4702?
Rev 4702 was a change for the trunk, aka GnuPG 2.0. It had nothing at all to do
with 1.4. The last check-in before today that affected the 1.4 branch was rev 4691.

It seems rather silly to (re)build the 1.4 branch every time the 2.0 trunk
changes, but I see a group of Windows folks doing it all the time. At the worst,
it leads to the suspicion that folks don't understand the changes in the code
that are taking place.

Just because one /can/ do something, doesn't necessarily mean one /should/.

> Since I'm using the svn sources I would have thought this file would
> have automatically at least been updated to 1.4.9 -- or am I missing
> something.

Changes in the Subversion repository do not magically appear on your computer.
You need to update your copy

  svn co svn://cvs.gnupg.org/gnupg/branches/STABLE-BRANCH-1-4 -r 4704 gnupg14

or similar may help. It's helpful to update at least to the revision that
contains the fix you're interested in, which for your original inquiry was 4703.
4704 was cosmetic.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe (a) tx DAWT rr DAHT con
Ginger Bear Networks             hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or
Send email with subject HELP to  pgp-public-keys at keyserver.gingerbear.net

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss, "Oh the Places You'll Go"