OpenPGP card stopped working

Harvey Muller hlmuller at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 18:56:55 CET 2008

> Any ideas? Or, for starters, any hints to produce a more meaningful
> error message?

Sven,

I've used the OpenPGP card recently with Gutsy and the Hardy releases without issue. To troubleshoot you can try:

$ ps aux | grep pcscd

The above commands should report two lines, one for the grep command, and the other for the running pcscd.  If you only get the grep command, then pcscd is not starting and you will have to investigate why, or simply try reinstalling it.

If pcscd is running, then my guess is that there is something wrong with the smartcard driver.  It this case I would try reinstalling the driver also.

I'm using a GemPC Twin usb card reader.  To get it to work, I only have to install pcscd.  It pulls in the pcsclite and libccid dependencies.

Hope this helps,

Harv