Open Pgp Smartcard ssh authentication Woes :(

Edward Robinson eddrobinson at gmail.com
Tue May 6 12:39:19 CEST 2008

For anyone that this may help,

It appears I have solved my problems.  It turns out that gnome-keying-manager
was interfering by taking control of the ssh socket.  This was realised
because echo $SSH_AUTH_SOCKET returned:

/tmp/keyring-XXXXX

which was different to the socket that gpg-agent was set to use.

To fix this problem I disabled ssh support in gnome-keyring by issuing the
following command:

$ gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh false

There is more information here:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/Ssh

I thought this was a seahorse problem, but it turns out it is not.

Many thanks to Werner, who helped greatly finding the socket problem.

Cheers,

e-dard