Need recommendation on keyserver code

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Wed May 7 16:36:47 CEST 2008

Alan Olsen wrote:
> I need to build a private keyserver for interanl use.
>
> I have tried to get SKS to build, but I have never been able to get
> it
> to work. (The project seems to be almost abandoned.) I am using Fedora 9
> on an x86_64 box with 4 gigs of ram and Numerix blows up on compile with
> "out of memory" errors.

I'm not sure how you came to "almost abandoned" conclusion. It doesn't
seem to have been by posting and asking for help on the [sks-devel] list.

SKS is a fairly mature product. It was based on RFC 2440 and the latest
bis drafts of what is now RFC 4880. As such, there is little ongoing
maintenance that needs to be done.  The greatest problem is
reconstructing the documentation from sites that have dropped from the net.

> I have not seen anything else that handles subkeys.
>
> Any recommendations?

1) LDAP  Most LDAP server platforms can function as a keyserver by
   extending the server's schema. There are a couple very notable
   differences from other keyservers: a) while other servers merge
   updates, the normal function with LDAP keyservers is to replace;
   b) it is possible to delete keys from LDAP keyservers.

   The schema changes and a how-to were posted to this list some time
   back. I can forward a couple relevant emails if you'd like.

2) ONAK is another OpenPGP compliant server, see
   http://www.earth.li/projectpurple/progs/onak.html

3) OpenPKSD is yet another keyserver. It's written in Ruby and
   maintained by Hironobu Suzuki. See http://www.openpksd.org/

4) CryptNet. The last OpenPGP compliant platform I know about is the
   CryptNet Key Server (CKS). See http://keyserver.cryptnet.net/ or
   https://sourceforge.net/projects/cks/

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Ginger Bear Networks             hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net