Problem with FSFE gpg card

Edward Robinson eddrobinson at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:23:41 CEST 2008

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Running Debian Lenny and have both gpg (1.4.6) and gpg2 (2.0.9) installed (I am still trying to learn more about gpg2)
>
> This morning apt-get updated / installed the following
>
>        console-common dbus dbus-x11 java-common libdbus-1-3 libevent1 libgcrypt11 libtasn1-3
>

> Much as a few days ago (23 Apr), I could not use my card to decrypt a file as the card existence was not recognised. Furthermore in trying to use my backup key set, I could also not decrypt the file as the decryption command kept trying to find the gpg card...
>
> In rebooting the computer (as per last time) all was fixed and the card works

This possibly sounds like a driver bug, I am no expert though.  Perhaps if you
list your card reader model someone can tell you if it is known to have problems.

I use a smart card and I have to admit gpg has conked out on me a couple of
times and not been able to read my card.  Do you have to reboot though?  Isn't
logging out and back in again enough?

> - I like using the card, but I would like to be able to use gnupg without using the card (ie if I have to restore my complete key ring). Could anyone advise what the command is to force gpg to use a particular secret keyring
>
> I tried $gpg2 --secret-keyring secring.gpg -d filename but that did not work
>
> Any assistance / pointers gratefully received

I think it may depend on how you backed up your keyring.  If you copied the
.gnupg folder, then you could do:

  gpg --homedir <backup_usb_stick>

where backup_usb_stick is wherever you backed-up the folder to.

When I have restored from a backup and I have backed up my pubring and
secring, I have done something along the lines of:

gpg --import /place/to/backup/pubring.sec
gpg --import /place/to/backup/secring.sec

Not sure if that is what you want.

Cheers,

Edd