Problem with FSFE gpg card

Henry Bremridge henry.bremridge at xobie.com
Thu May 8 10:12:00 CEST 2008

Running Debian Lenny and have both gpg (1.4.6) and gpg2 (2.0.9) installed (I am still trying to learn more about gpg2)

This morning apt-get updated / installed the following

       console-common dbus dbus-x11 java-common libdbus-1-3 libevent1 libgcrypt11 libtasn1-3

Much as a few days ago (23 Apr), I could not use my card to decrypt a file as the card existence was not recognised. Furthermore in trying to use my backup key set, I could also not decrypt the file as the decryption command kept trying to find the gpg card...

In rebooting the computer (as per last time) all was fixed and the card works

I have two questions:

- As this has now happened twice, on the assumption that this will happen again, so that I can forward a complete bug report can anyone suggest what I should try to fix the problem WITHOUT rebooting.

- I like using the card, but I would like to be able to use gnupg without using the card (ie if I have to restore my complete key ring). Could anyone advise what the command is to force gpg to use a particular secret keyring

I tried $gpg2 --secret-keyring secring.gpg -d filename but that did not work

Any assistance / pointers gratefully received