Protecting private key on USB flash drive: how to?

Chris De Young chd at chud.net
Fri May 9 20:47:49 CEST 2008

> Depends on where you are and what you're doing.

[...]

> Moral of the story: there are times when you very much want to prove
> that you _don't_ have certain data.  TrueCrypt's design makes these
> sorts of proofs impossible.

Well, it actually gives you the choice -- as I recall the hidden volume feature
requires that the outer volume be formatted as FAT, so if you need prove that no
hidden volume exists, formatting the outer volume as NTFS accomplishes this.

Of course, this probably won't help you, because the rubber-hose cryptanalyst
probably won't follow this explanation and understand the design well enough to
be convinced.  But still.

And, the hidden volume feature *is* still useful if you actually do have the
data they're looking for - as you say, it depends on what you're doing.

-Chris